Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Best Friend's Girl

I did a blog before about my friend and his girlfriend. In that blog I talked about how his girlfriend could be really materialistic and a huge conflict came up this past week because of it. This girl is one of the first girls that my best friend has dated that I've actually grown to be close to but she definitely pushed my buttons this week. My best friend called me up and told me that they were arguing about Christmas presents and how he believes jewelry should be saved for later on in the relationship like a long-term anniversary or something. I completely agreed with him on that but his girlfriend didn't quite get it.

She actually ended up coming to me as well and we discussed this whole topic. She explained to me that it didn't seem like he cared as much about her because he bought his other girlfriends jewelry before for presents. I explained to her that he didn't want to do that this time because he wanted to save it for a big occasion for them. He didn't want to just buy her jewelry because he thought it was a nice gesture but instead, he'd rather get it for her when they're celebrating a more serious event like an anniversary. She wouldn't see it this way and kept fighting me on it. There was a lot of discussion and then I ended up telling her that if she's that materialistic that they don't belong together and I can't associate with someone that selfish.

After a few days of not talking, she admitted that she was being self-centered and didn't want to see it from the other perspective. I really appreciated her honesty and I apologized for maybe being a little too harsh on her as well. As frustrating as this conflict was, I'm glad that it happened because I believe that my friends and I all understand each other much better and appreciate each others' honesty more as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment